kay Twitter polls in a nutshell.
🧰 Tools of the Trade
Bryan English “Hello world in @nodejs has changed a lot over the years.”
Dear Google Cloud: Your Deprecation Policy is Killing You If you’re even considering using GCP, read this piece first (*):
- Google has a habit of deprecating and shutting down products for funsies (Reader, Inbox, Allo, etc)
- When they shut down GCP features, they could take down your applications
- If you're using GCP, get ready for the endless upgrade treadmill
- Or stick with Amazon and Microsoft, companies that understand legacy support
* This being a Steve Yegge epic, might as well read it for entertainment value, pairs well with scotch
bernaferrari/FigmaToCode I covered Anima before, which generates static HTML. FigmaToCode can generate responsive pages/apps using Tailwind, Flutter or SwiftUI. Open source, and they explain how their algorithm works.
umami A friendlier, privacy-focused alternative to Google Analytics. I love the simplicity of their UI: ”Umami collects only the metrics you care about and everything fits on a single page.” Open-source, which means self-hosted.
Stefan Judis ”Safari now supports
Pairs well with
📈 Business Side
WordPress founder claims Apple cut off updates to his completely free app because it wants 30 percent Last week we covered Apple vs Epic Games, this week Apple is taking on WordPress. Apple’s market cap is $2.12 trillion, to justify the incredible stock price, they have to make a ton of revenue. The hardware market is getting saturated, so Apple is starting to shake the App Store tree:
Heads up on why @WordPressiOS updates have been absent... we were locked by App Store. To be able to ship updates and bug fixes again we had to commit to support in-app purchases for .com plans. I know why this is problematic, open to suggestions. Allow others IAP? New name?
Uber and Lyft Get Reprieve After Threatening to Shut Down 🍿 Story so far:
- Californians voted on AB 5, which requires Lyft/Uber to treat their drivers like proper employees. You know, pay, benefits, fair treatment.
- Lyft/Uber decided they'd rather shut down all operations in California (due date last Thursday)
- At the last minute, appeals court grants then an extension until mid-October
- They hope to run the clock into November, that's when Californians will vote once more, to decide whether AB 5 actually applies to Lyft/Uber, or is a dead law
⭐ None of the Above
Hari Kunzru “I don’t know maybe this is peak 2020 (California 📷 Noah Berger/AP)” (related, air quality map for NorCal)
Mackenzie Punctuation matters!
Business Insider: Delta has banned the Navy SEAL who killed Osama Bin Laden for refusing to wear a mask
"Hi, I'm looking for a pair of pants. They need to fit me perfectly without too much stretch, make my butt look great and feed small children and save the earth and launder itself and have pockets and they need to be $20. Can you help me?"
The man who has created 100+ pointless inventions “What happened when one entrepreneur decided to share all of his crazy, rejected product ideas with the world.”
Nicole “I’m loving this new patch update lol #RedDeadOnline” (more Red Dead Online is so broken right now, you can’t even shoot)
Microsoft Flight Simulator’s visual glitches sprinkle in a dose of cosmic horror “Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) is an impressive piece of technology that has ... a few algorithmically generated glitches.” A warped Thames river, giant walls of ice, flat Stonehenge, and this 212-story monolith.
Alex Horn “The pit box 😂”
❤️ You're the best! If you enjoyed this, why now share with your friends?
🙏 Share on Twitter — Share via Email